TI Releases Industry’s Smallest 12-V, 10-A DC/DC Step-Down Power Solution
Highly integrated solution eliminates input and output capacitors to provide excellent transient performance
Texas Instruments has introduced a pair of 12-V, 10-A, 4-MHz step-down power modules that
provide a power management solution that is 20 percent smaller than any other 10-A power module-based solution available today.
The easy-to-use SWIFT TPSM84A21 and TPSM84A22 DC/DC modules integrate power MOSFETs, shielded inductors,
input and output capacitors, and passives into a tiny, low profile footprint.
In addition, it provides industry-leading performance, with as little as 1 percent overshoot in transient conditions
without special magnetics or additional capacitors. By using the step-down power module together with TI’s WEBENCH® Power Designer,
engineers can get their space-constrained point-of-load (POL) telecom, networking, and test and measurement power-supply designs
to market faster.
Unlike other 10-A step-down modules available today, the highly integrated TPSM84A21 and TPSM84A22 require just one external voltage-setting resistor for a complete 12-V step-down power solution. For an application such as powering tightly regulated field-programmable gate array (FPGA) rails, a typical 10-A module would require up to 16 external capacitors. In comparison, the TPSM84A21 provides ultra-low output ripple due to the very high 4-MHz switching frequency and integrated 185 microfarads of output capacitance, which maintains regulation accuracy without any external capacitors.
Features of the TPSM84A21 and TPSM84A22 include:
- Tiny solution: A 9-mm by 15-mm module and a single external voltage-setting resistor make up a complete solution footprint of 11 mm by 15 mm.
- Low Profile: Measuring 2.3 mm in height, the small size, weight and bill of materials enable placement of the complete solution on the back side of a printed circuit board.
- Best transient performance: 4-MHz switching enables ±1 percent overshoot without any external capacitors.
- Easy to design: Integrated input and output capacitors eliminate the loop compensation and magnetics part selection from the design process. Use WEBENCH Power Designer to quickly create a complete 12-V, 10-A DC/DC step-down solution with just one voltage-setting resistor.
Technical Specifications of the TPSM84A22 Power Module
- Fully Integrated Power Solution Includes Input and Output Capacitors
- Only Requires a Single Voltage Setting Resistor
- Ultra-Fast Load Step Response
- Efficiencies up to 90%
- 1% Output Voltage Accuracy
- 4 MHz Switching Frequency
- Synchronizes to an External Clock
- Power Good Output
- Pre-bias Output Start-up
- Programmable Under-Voltage Lockout (UVLO)
- Operating IC Junction Range: -40°C to +125°C
- Operating Ambient Range: -40°C to +85°C
- Meets EN55022 Class B Emissions
More information on the TPSM84A22 Step-down Power Module, can be found on the TI Web site
TI TPSM84A22 product page
The company's Web site address is www.ti.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from Texas Instruments - Release Date, 13th February, 2017]