New Automotive Sequential LED Lighting Controller from Maxim Integrated
The MAX25605 Provides Hardware Configured LED Sequences without the need for a Microcontroller
The MAX25605 sequential LED controller from Maxim Integrated, allows easy and cost-effective addition of automotive sequential LED lighting features.
It saves development time and reduces design complexity by eliminating the need for a microcontroller or software.
In addition, the MAX25605 reduces design space by up to 50 percent and slashes bill-of-materials (BOM) costs.
Sequential LED lighting features used to be exclusive to high-end vehicle model segments due to complexity in design and cost constraints. The MAX25605 now simplifies designs, allowing more mid-range and economy models to adopt their own animation signatures. It controls LED current up to 750mA versus 100mA for other solutions, thus providing more flexibility in the lighting design. The MAX25605 integrates six switches, manages up to three LEDs per switch and can be daisy-chained up to 16 devices without the need for a microcontroller.
“LED exterior lighting has long been the province of premium brands and models,” said Edward A. Sanchez, senior analyst at Strategy Analytics. “OEMs know creative use of LED exterior lighting on cars instantly conveys technical sophistication and aspirational style. Sequenced LEDs represent the next evolution in vehicle styling, creating a unique and appealing visual feature that also has compelling safety and functionality benefits.”
With this comprehensive solution, designers can accurately program sequence timing, direction and linear or log dimming, while also easily detecting fault conditions. This component reduction cuts BOM costs and saves time and effort by eliminating the need for software.
“Integration makes the MAX25605 the most compressive sequential turn signal solution in the market,” Yin Wu, senior business manager, Automotive Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. “In addition, hardware programming simplifies development efforts while managing up to 750mA of LED current allows for much more flexibility to meet lumen requirements.”
Features of the MAX25605 Sequential LED Controller
- Flexible Dimming Configuration Provides Optimal Performance without a Microcontroller or Software
- Simple Resistor Programming for Sequence Timing and Direction
- Hazard Light Applications
- Sync Pin Allows Sequencing of up to 16 Devices
- Optional Logarithmic LED Fade
- Flexible Configuration Allows the Use of the Same Device in Different Applications
- One, Two, or Three Series LEDs per Switch
- Floating Source MOSFETs
- EMI Reduction
- Spread-Spectrum Oscillator
- Slew Rate Control Minimizes LED Current Spikes
- Protection Features and Package Improve Reliability
- Single-LED Short, Open, and Open-Trace Detection
- Thermal Shutdown and Fault Flag
- Automotive Ready
- AEC-Q100 Qualified
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
For more information on the MAX25605 6-Switch Sequential LED Controller, visit the Maxim Integrated Website at
Maxim Integrated MAX25605 product page
The company's Web site address is www.maximintegrated.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from Maxim Integrated - Release Date 4th November, 2020]