Microchip's New Highest-Density EEPROM with 4 Mbit Serial EEPROM
New 4 Mbit EEPROM is ideal for data and setting storage in portable consumer and medical devices
Portable consumer and medical devices including fitness trackers, hearing aids and glucose monitors as well as industrial, automotive and other systems
often use customer-specific data sets to optimize the consumer experience.
These nonvolatile data sets – including calibration constants, background conditions, user preferences and changing noise environments –
often are adjusted by the end system or user a few bytes at a time. Serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM)
is the memory of choice for these applications providing nonvolatility, byte-level control, ease-of-use and low-power consumption.
Microchip has released its new, highest-density EEPROM – the 25CSM04.
At 4 Mbit, Microchip’s new EEPROM becomes the largest EEPROM available to developers, doubling the 2 Mbit density designers previously were limited to. Until now developers have used lower-cost NOR Flash integrated circuits (ICs) for any 2 Mbit+ nonvolatile data set application. Because EEPROM offers performance advantages over NOR Flash, Microchip has responded to customer requests by introducing a larger 4 Mbit EEPROM. EEPROM advantages include a lower standby current (2 µA vs. 15 µA); the ability to perform single-byte, multi-byte, and full-page writes; shorter sector erase/rewrite times (5ms vs.300ms); and more erase/rewrite cycles (1M vs 100K).
“Pushing the top end of what is possible with serial EEPROM supports product innovation,” said Randy Drwinga, vice president of Microchip’s memory products division. “Designers can now reevaluate their systems and leverage this new technology to optimize design performance.”
Features of the 25CSM04 4 Mb Serial EEPROM
- 524,288 x 8 bit; page size of 256 bytes
- Byte or sequential reads; byte or page writes
- Self-timed write cycle (5 ms maximum)
- Security register featuring preprogrammed 128-bit serial number and 256-byte user-programmable lockable ID page
- Built-in Error Correction Code (ECC) Logic with ECC Status bit via the STATUS register
- JEDEC(R) SPI Manufacturer Read ID Support
- High-Speed Clock Frequency of 8MHz at Vcc>3.0V; 5MHz at Vcc>2.5V
- Legacy Write Protection Mode with a quarter, half, or entire array protection
- Enhanced Software Write Protection Mode with user-definable partitions and each partition settable with unique protection behavior
- Write current: 3.0mA at 5V; Read current: 3.0mA at 5V, 8MHz, Standby Current 1.0µA at 2.5V
- More than one million erase/write cycles
- Data Retention > 100 years
- ESD Protection > 4000V
- Industrial Temperature Range
More information on the Microchip 25CSM04 4 Mb Serial EEPROM can be found on the Microchip Web site
Microchip 25CSM04 product page
Note: The Microchip name and the Microchip logo are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology Incorporated in the USA and other countries. All other trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective companies.
The company's Web site address is www.microchip.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from Microchip Corporation - Release Date, 25th August, 2020]