ST Releases First STM32 Wireless Microcontroller Module
Ready-to-use Microcontroller Module Includes Dual CPU's for Radio Functions and a Separate CPU for Program Applications
STMicroelectronics has released a new complete STM32 Microcontroller Module, incorporating the new Bluetooth® LE and 802.15.4 wireless technologies
combined with a Arm® Cortex®-M4 microcontroller in a ready-to-use certified miniature module.
The 7mm x 11.3mm STM32WB5MMG module lets product teams build connected devices without needing wireless-design skills. Made to enable low-cost PCB technology requiring a minimal number of layers, it integrates everything up to the antenna. Users can also leverage the tools, design wizards, radio stacks, and turnkey software libraries of ST’s STM32Cube MCU development ecosystem, available free of charge from STMicroelectronics, to complete the project quickly and efficiently.
In addition, the module supports ST’s novel concurrent dual-protocol mode that lets any protocol based on IEEE 802.15.4 radio technology, including Zigbee 3.0 and OpenThread, connect the user directly to any Bluetooth Low Energy device.
Benefitting from all features of ST’s STM32WB55 ultra-low power wireless microcontroller ICs, the module addresses a wide variety of opportunities for smart-home, smart-building, and smart-factory equipment. Users can leverage the MCU’s dual-core architecture that separates radio and application-level processing for unimpeded performance, large memories for radio and application code and data storage, and state-of-the-art cybersecurity.
Features of the STM32WB5MMG Module with Dual Core Arm Cortex-M4 Microcontroller and Bluetooth, 802.15.4, Zigbee include:
- Integrated chip antenna
- Bluetooth® Low Energy 5.0, Zigbee® 3.0, OpenThread certified
- Dynamic and static concurrent modes
- IEEE 802.15.4-2011 MAC PHY
- Supports 2 Mbits/s
- TX output power up to +6 dBm
- RX sensitivity: -96 dBm (Bluetooth® Low Energy at 1 Mbps), -100 dBm (802.15.4)
- Range: up to 75 meters
- Dedicated Arm® Cortex®-M0+ for radio and security tasks
- Dedicated Arm® Cortex®-M4 CPU with FPU and ART (adaptive real-time accelerator) up to 64 MHz speed
- 1-Mbyte Flash memory, 256-Kbyte SRAM
- Fully integrated BOM, including 32 MHz radio and 32 KHz RTC crystals
- Integrated SMPS
- Ultra-low-power modes for battery longevity
- 68 GPIOs
- Integrated IPD for best-in-class and reliable antenna matching
- 1.8 V to 3.6 V VDD range
- -40 °C to 85 °C temperature range
- Built-in security features such as: secure firmware installation (SFI) for radio stack, customer key storage/key management services, PKA, AES 256-bit, TRNG, PCROP, CRC, 96-bit UID, possibility to derive 802.15.4 and Bluetooth® Low Energy 48-bit UEI
- Certifications: CE, FCC, IC, JRF, SRRC, RoHS, REACH, GOST, KC, NCC
- Two layers PCB compatible (using external raw pins only)
More information on the STM32WB5MMG Module with Dual Core Arm Cortex-M4 Microcontroller is available on the ST Web site
STMicroelectronics STM32WB5MMG product page.
STM32 are registered and/or unregistered trademarks of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere.
In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date, 5th January, 2021]