TI Releases New USB Type-C™ Docking System Reference Design
New Design helps developers to create USB Type-C and Power Delivery Docking Solutions Quickly
Texas Instruments have released a multiport USB Type-C and Power Delivery (PD) minidock reference design
that provides audio, USB data, power and video support. This new TI Designs reference design
can be powered by a traditional power adapter, USB Type-C adapter or notebook computer,
offering end users flexible, intelligent functionality. The reference design provides a fully tested,
verified plan for a 2- by 4-inch dock, at least 50 percent smaller than existing docking solutions.
At the core of the USB Type-C and Power Delivery Minidock with Video and Charging Support Reference Design is the TPS65982 USB Type-C and PD controller. The TPS65982 enables dual-role port USB Type-C functionality, capable of delivering 60 watts of power and supporting DisplayPort Alternate Mode and USB data transmission. In addition, the design features the TPS65986 USB Type-C and PD controller, HD3SS3212 SuperSpeed multiplexer, TUSB321 dual-role port controller and HD3SS460 Alternate Mode multiplexer, which work together to provide dual-role port capability for power, data and video transfer.
Features of the Type-C™ Docking System include:
- Bidirectional power and data transfer: The design allows for autonomous PD negotiation for both source and sink, eliminating the need for an external microcontroller.
- Smallest solution size: By combining the highly integrated TPS65982 with other USB Type-C components in an optimized circuit, the minidock reference design allows engineers to develop up to 50 percent smaller docking stations compared to other designs available on the market with similar, comprehensive features.
- DisplayPort and High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) design flexibility: The minidock also supports USB 3.0 or 4K resolution video and digital audio through various output options.
- Fast development time: All integrated circuits (ICs) within the design are compliant with the current USB Type-C and PD standards, simplifying and speeding engineers' design cycles.
- Simple implementation: The design combines the complete solution of TI USB Type-C and PD-compliant ICs, including port controllers, data multiplexers, DC/DC converters, load switches, field-effect transistors (FETs), signal conditioners and circuit protection, easing product selection and purchasing during design implementation.
More information on the USB Type-C™ Docking System Reference Design, can be found on the TI Web site
TI TIDA-01243 USB Type-C Reference Design page
The company's Web site address is www.ti.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from Texas Instruments - Release Date, 11th August, 2016]