ST Releases Complete USB Type-C Port-Protection IC
The TCPP01-M12 enables modernization of USB® Micro-A or Micro-B Connections to Type-C
Designers can easily migrate small electronic devices from legacy USB® Micro-A or Micro-B interconnects to the latest Type-C style
with the STMicroelectronics TCPP01-M12 port protector, which satisfies all protection requirements for USB-C™ connections.
The TCPP01-M12 is a microcontroller (MCU) companion chip that works with the 20V/100W USB Type-C Power Delivery controller integrated in ST’s STM32G0 and STM32G4 MCUs. It is also perfectly featured to protect 5V-only connections managed by general-purpose MCUs such as STM32 and STM8 devices. In each case, only the TCPP01-M12 and MCU are required, permitting an equally cost-effective and space-efficient solution.
Created by listening to the needs of mass-market customers, the TCPP01-M12 simplifies modernization of industrial PCs, mobile POS terminals, medical devices, wearables, wall chargers, automotive infotainment equipment, gaming terminals, drones, audio/video systems, gateways, computers, and peripherals.
The full set of features include defective power-adapter protection to prevent equipment damage if a faulty power supply applies a wrong power profile. There is also short-circuit protection between VBUS pins and Configuration Channel (CC) lines, and IEC 61000-4-2 Level 4 + 8 kV ESD protection for VBUS and CC.
Adding extra value, the TCPP01-M12 enters zero-power operation when no cable is connected, thereby extending battery life, and makes innovative use of the USB PD programmable power supply (PPS) to enable faster device charging. The IC also integrates driver circuitry for an external N-channel load switch to save bill-of-materials costs. Moreover, leveraging PPS support and the inherently low on-resistance of the N-channel switch, compared to the P-channel MOSFET typically used, minimize overall heat dissipation.
Features of the TCPP01-M12 USB Protection IC include:
- Overvoltage protection on VBUS, adjustable up to 22 V, with external N-channel MOSFET
- 6.0 V overvoltage protection (OVP) on CC lines against short-to-VBUS
- System-level ESD protection for USB type-C connector pins (CC1, CC2), compliant with IEC 61000-4-2 level 4 (±8 kV contact discharge, ±15 kV air discharge)
- Integrated charge pump to control the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET (which features a lower RDSON than a P-channel MOSFET)
- Null quiescent current when no USB charging cable is attached for battery-operated "consumer/sink" applications
- Integrated "Dead Battery" (RD resistors)
- Complies with the latest USB type-C and USB power delivery standards
The TCPP01-M12 is currently available in a QFN12 Package and can be ordered from ST in tape and reel packaging.
For more information on the TCPP01-M12 USB port protector, visit the ST Website at
STMicroelectronics TCPP01-M12 product page
STM32 and STM8 are registered and/or unregistered trademarks of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere. In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 5th November, 2019]