ST's New MEMS Chip Combines Accelerometer with Temperature Sensor for Superior Precision
The LIS2DTW12 provides 16-bit accelerometer data and 12-bit temperature data in a low power, compact package
The STMicroelectronics LIS2DTW12 combines a MEMS 3-axis accelerometer and a temperature sensor on a single die
for use in space-constrained and battery-sensitive detectors such as shipping trackers, wearables, and IoT endpoints.
The sensing accuracy of 0.8°C offers precision comparable with stand-alone standard temperature sensors.
In addition to enhanced temperature compensation, leveraging the sensor’s superior accuracy, the accelerometer benefits from unprecedented flexibility with 65 different user modes that enable developers to optimize power consumption and noise to meet application-specific requirements. It has user-selectable full-scale range up to ±16g and measures acceleration with output data rates from 1.6Hz to 1600Hz. With about 30% lower package height than other combination sensors, at just 0.7mm, the LIS2DTW12 allows extra battery capacity for longer runtimes. Power-saving features let devices go even further between charges, and include a 50nA power-down mode, multiple operating modes down to less than 1µA, a dedicated internal engine for processing accelerometer signals, and a large 32-level FIFO to reduce intervention from the main controller.
The LIS2DTW12 provides 16-bit accelerometer data and 12-bit temperature data through a high-speed I²C/SPI port, and allows single data conversion on demand. The motion engine performs free-fall and wakeup detection, single/double-tap recognition, activity/inactivity, stationary/motion detection, portrait/landscape detection, and 6D/4D orientation. ST’s advanced self-test capability is also built-in to verify the sensor is functioning correctly.
Features of the LIS2DTW12 MEMS Chip
- Ultra-low power consumption: 50 nA in power-down mode, below 1 µA in active low-power mode
- Very low noise: down to 1.3 mg RMS in low-power mode
- 0.8 °C (typ. accuracy) embedded temperature sensor
- Multiple operating modes with multiple bandwidths
- Android stationary detection, motion detection
- Supply voltage, 1.62 V to 3.6 V
- Independent IO supply
- ±2g/±4g/±8g/±16g full scale
- High-speed I²C/SPI digital output interface
- Single data conversion on demand
- 16-bit accelerometer data output
- 12-bit temperature data output
- 32-level FIFO
- 10000 g high shock survivability
- ECOPACK, RoHS and “Green” compliant
More information on the LIS2DTW12 MEMS Chip is available on the ST Web site
STMicroelectronics LIS2DTW12 product page.
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date, 23rd April, 2019]