STMicroelectronics Release Free IDE For STM32 Microcontrollers
The STM32CubeIDE includes code configurator, compiler, debugger and editor in a complete user-friendly interface
STMicroelectronics have released a free Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the STM32 range of microcontrollers, the STM32CubeIDE development tool.
This new free development tool is part of the STM32Cube software ecosystem.
As easy to use as a commercial Integrated Development Environment (IDE), the STM32CubeIDE leverages ST’s 2017 acquisition of embedded-development-tool vendor Atollic®. It is offered under industry-standard open license terms and adds dedicated STM32-specific features to simplify and accelerate STM32-based embedded designs. These include the powerful STM32CubeMX tool for configuring the microcontroller and managing the project build.
The STM32Cube ecosystem is popular among developers, with downloads of STM32CubeMX currently averaging more than 250,000 per year. By combining STM32CubeMX with STM32CubeIDE, ST now creates a development environment that is more powerful than typical free tools offered by MCU vendors. The complete STM32Cube ecosystem also contains the STM32CubeProgrammer for MCU programming and STM32CubeMonitor series for monitoring application behaviour, as well as individual MCU-specific embedded software packages.
“We continue to strengthen the prospects for STM32 development with innovations that let users maximize functionality and performance, accelerate time to market, and reduce development costs,” said Ricardo De Sa Earp, General Manager of STMicroelectronics’ Microcontroller Division. “STM32CubeIDE is fully integrated in the STM32Cube software ecosystem and seamlessly supports the more than 800 STM32 MCU variants currently available and their associated hardware platforms.”
Key Features of the STM32CubeIDE include
- Easy-to-use STM32CubeMX configurator and code generator with power consumption and clock tree analysis
- Rich TrueStudio features including editor, compiler, build/memory/stack analyzers, project wizard
- Debugger, fault analysis, trace and profiling visualization tools, bug tracking
- Support for over 800 STM32 microcontroller variants from ultra-low-power STM32L0 to high-performance STM32H7, which combine to leverage the full range of Arm® Cortex®-M 32-bit cores
- IDE built on proven Eclipse open-source platform and license free under CDT, GCC, and GDB
- Free to acquire and use for commercial projects
The STM32 Cube software development kit is available on the ST Web site at www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html.
STM32 is a registered and/or unregistered trademark of STMicroelectronics International NV or its affiliates in the EU and/or elsewhere. In particular, STM32 is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 25th April, 2019]