New Nano-Power Op Amp from STMicroelectronics Improves Sensing Accuracy and Reduces Power Consumption
New TSU111 Op Amp is available in a tiny 1.2mm x 1.3mm size and ideal for medical monitors and wearables
With its tiny 1.2mm x 1.3mm outline and typical current of only 900nA, the TSU111 nano-power op amp from STMicroelectronics
helps cut the size and energy needs of analog circuits to the bare minimum in medical monitors, wearable electronics,
gas detectors, pH sensors, infrared motion sensors, and payment tags.
The TSU111’s extremely low operating current is on par with the leakage current of some low-cost capacitors, and would take over 25 years to discharge a 220mAh CR2032 cell. Hence the op amp can be designed-in with negligible impact on overall system energy management.
At the same time, the TSU111 outperforms other nano-power op amps with its input-offset voltage of 150uV and 0.1-10Hz noise of 3.6µVp-p that ensure high accuracy in signal-conditioning circuits.
In addition, the superior gain-bandwidth product (GBWP) of 11.5kHz and the rail-to-rail input stage enable monitoring of environmental or biological signals. The very low input bias current of 10pA helps minimize the effects of parasitic currents in sensing devices like gas detectors or photodiodes.
The supply-voltage range of 1.5V to 5V allows the TSU111 to be powered from the same supply rail as logic circuitry thereby simplifying power-supply design and board layout. Moreover, the low minimum voltage allows the device to run longer as the battery discharges, and simplifies use in equipment powered by energy-harvesting systems such as photovoltaic (PV) cells.
Features of the TSU11x Range of Op-Amps
- Sub-micro ampere current consumption: Icc = 900 nA typical at 25 °C
- Low offset voltage: 150 µV max. at 25 °C, 235 µV max. over full temperature range (-40 to 85 °C)
- Low noise over 0.1 to 10 Hz bandwidth: 3.6 µVpp
- Low supply voltage: 1.5 V to 5.5 V
- Rail-to-rail input and output
- Gain bandwidth product: 11.5 kHz typical
- Low input bias current: 10 pA max. at 25 °C
- High tolerance to ESD: 4 kV HBM
- More than 25 years of typical equivalent lifetime supplied by a 220 mA.h CR2032 coin type Lithium battery
- High accuracy without calibration
- Tolerance to power supply transient drops
For more information on the TSU111 nano-power op amp, visit the ST Website at
STMicroelectronics TSU111 nano-power op amp webpage
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 13th December, 2016]