New Maxim Integrated High Accuracy Temperature Sensor IC's
The MAX31889 temperature sensor offers an accuracy of ±0.25°C and the MAX31825 enables up to 64 temperature sensors to be connected on the same bus
Designers of highly reliable cold-chain pharma and other temperature-sensing applications can achieve high accuracy and robust system operation
with two new industry-leading Essential Analog ICs from Maxim Integrated. The MAX31889 digital temperature sensor features an unmatched combination
of accuracy and power consumption, replacing expensive resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) in precise temperature-sensitive applications.
The MAX31825 digital temperature sensor enables up to 64 devices per bus, all parasitically powered by the 1-Wire® bus, to drastically reduce wiring complexity.
Accuracy, low power and design simplicity are essential objectives for designers of pharmaceutical cold chains, medical monitors and industrial automation applications. Variances as little as 2-degrees Celsius can adversely impact products and processes by limiting the producer’s ability to deliver quality products, thereby impairing the bottom line. The MAX31889 ensures the industry’s highest accuracy at the lowest power consumption, providing robust protection of customer assets. Delivering precision measurement of ±0.25-degree Celsius accuracy across a wide temperature range, the MAX31889 measures cold-chain pharma product temperatures at a fraction of the cost of RTDs and at 35 percent the power consumed by competitive solutions.
“These Essential Analog products by Maxim Integrated enable manufacturers to make their operations and supply chains more reliable, helping to ensure quality to their customers and savings to their bottom line,” said Colin Barnden, principal analyst, Semicast Research.
Sensitive processes and applications often require connecting multiple devices in a space-constrained system to measure temperature and protect processes, assets and equipment from unacceptable variation. Competitive solutions offer the ability to connect up to eight devices and require an additional wire for power. The MAX31825 reduces design and wiring complexity by allowing up to 64 devices, all connected to the same parasitically powered 1-Wire bus, with the precision of ±1-degree Celsius accuracy. Each device has a unique code which can be optionally programmed with a location address, simplifying system design. The 1-Wire versatility improves system robustness by delivering an 8x reduction in necessary wiring compared to competitive two- or three-wire solutions. The MAX31825 features longer battery life and extends operational uptime with a low standby current of 2.5µA, ideal for consumer devices and factory automation.
“These temperature sensor ICs epitomize the values of precision measurement and robust protection from Maxim Integrated’s Essential Analog portfolio. Our customers can measure temperature with precision, and thereby protect their assets from potential damage by heat or cold,” said David Andeen, executive director for the Core Products Group at Maxim Integrated.
Features of the MAX31889 High-Precision I²C Temperature Sensor
- High Accuracy
- ±0.25°C Accuracy from -20°C to +105°C
- ±0.65°C Accuracy from -40°C to +125°C
- Long Battery Life
- 1.7V to 3.6V Operating Voltage
- 68µA Operating Current During Measurement
- 0.55µA Standby Current
- Small Size
- 2mm x 2mm x 0.8mm, 6-Pin µDFN
- Safety and Compliance
- High and Low Temperature Alarms
- I²C Digital Interface
- Configurable Convert Temperature Input Pin
- Configurable Interrupt Output Pin
- 32-Word FIFO for Temperature Data
- 4 I²C Addresses Available—More Addresses Available by Request
Features of the MAX31825 1-Wire® Temperature Sensor
- 1-Wire Interface Requires Only One Port Pin for Communication
- Unique 64-bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM
- External Resistor Selects Address for Location Identification
- Can Be Powered From Data Line
- Power Supply Range is 1.6V to 3.6V (External Power), 2.3V to 3.6V (Parasite Power)
- Measures Temperatures from -45°C to +145°C
- Better Than ±1°C Accuracy from 0°C to +70°C
- Better Than ±1.75°C Accuracy from -45°C to +145°C
- Alarm Output for Detection of Temperature Faults
- Temperature Resolution is Selectable from 8 to 12 Bits
- Converts Temperature to 10-bit Digital Word in 80ms (max)
- User-Definable Alarm Settings
- 4kV HBM ESD Protection
For more information on the MAX31889 High-Precision I²C Temperature Sensor, visit the Maxim Integrated Website at
Maxim Integrated MAX31889 product page
For more information on the MAX31825 1-Wire® Temperature Sensor, visit the Maxim Integrated Website at
Maxim Integrated MAX31825 product page
The company's Web site address is www.maximintegrated.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from Maxim Integrated - Release Date 2nd September, 2020]