New Auto Buck-Boost Controller for USB Power Ports from Maxim Integrated
The MAX25430 reduces design size by up to 40 percent and eliminates microcontrollers, metal enclosures and heat sinks
Designers of automotive chargers now have the industry’s smallest and lowest-cost solution with the MAX25430 100W USB Power Delivery (PD) buck-boost controller and protector
from Maxim Integrated. The MAX25430 can reduce design size up to 40 percent compared to alternative solutions and offer the lowest cost for increasing the number of USB PD ports in vehicles.
Automotive multimedia hubs, including rear-seat entertainment modules and head units, are all expanding in capability as more USB PD chargers are integrated into passenger vehicle cabins. However, there are size, cost and power constraints—and the MAX25430 addresses all of these.
The MAX25430 integrates a USB Type C Port Controller (TCPC) power regulator, VCONN cable power supply, buck-boost and protection thereby eliminating heat-sink requirements and metal box enclosures to further slash design size by 40 percent compared to competitive multi-IC solutions. In addition, bill-of-materials (BOM) costs are also reduced by 25 percent compared to alternative solutions. The MAX25430 runs 20-degrees (Celsius) cooler at full power compared to other automotive USB PD solutions. It needs only a single microcontroller (MCU) regardless of the number of ports, while alternative solutions require additional MCUs per port.
“Automakers are expanding the number of USB-C Power Delivery ports in cars,” said Richard Robinson, automotive director at Strategy Analytics. “With the market increasing nearly 10x between 2020 (5.7 million units) and 2027 (50 million units), Maxim Integrated is well positioned to take advantage of the significant increase in the in-cabin requirement for higher-power and faster data transfer on consumer devices.”
Features of the MAX25430 100W USB-PD Buck-Boost Port Controller include:
- USB-PD PHY That is TCPCI Standard for Use with Any Low-Cost I²C Master Such as Hub IC, MCU or SOC (MAX25430B)
- Non-TCPC Versions Available for Protecting External USB-PD Controller (MAX25430A)
- Integrated Buck-Boost Controller for External H-bridge
- 4.5V to 36V Input Operating Range
- Fixed PDO 5V, 9V, 15V and 20V up to 5.0A
- 220kHz, 300kHz or 400kHz Switching Frequency
- External Frequency Synchronization and Spread Spectrum for Reduced EMI
- Integrated and User-Programmable Buck-Boost Output Voltage Adjustment up to 500mΩ of Cable Resistance
- Highest Performance, Safest, and Lowest Cost Passenger Cable-Shield Short-to-Battery Protection
- Integrated 3.0V to 5.5V 1W Smart, Reliable VCONN Switch with Protection
- Integrated 24V Protection on HVD+, HVD-, HVCC1 and HVCC2
- Integrated Legacy USB 2.0 Charging Support including BC1.2, Apple CarPlay, MFi R33, and OTG
- Integrated ±15kV Air, ±8kV Contact ISO 10605 and IEC 61000-4-2 ESD Protection
- -40°C to 125°C Operating Temperature Range
For more information on the MAX25430 100W USB-PD Buck-Boost Port Controller, visit the Maxim Integrated Website at
Maxim Integrated MAX25430 product page
The company's Web site address is www.maximintegrated.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from Maxim Integrated - Release Date 13th October, 2020]