New Maxim Synchronous DC-DC Inverting Converters Reduce Component Count by Half
As Maxim’s first 60V inverting DC-DC converters these devices reduce the board space by 72 percent while using 35 percent less energy
The new MAX17577 and MAX17578 from Maxim Integrated Products offer the smallest, highest-efficiency synchronous inverting DC-DC step-down converters compared to other converters.
As Maxim’s first 60V inverting DC-DC converters with integrated level shifters, these devices save up to 72 percent of board space by reducing component count by half
while using 35 percent less energy than alternative solutions. Both ICs reduce size, heat, and cost, while simplifying the design of negative output voltage rails
needed for analog signals within intelligent IoT devices found in factory automation, building automation and communications systems.
As network edge devices expand with Artificial Intelligence capabilities, designers must reduce the solution size and heat generation. They seek solutions that are more efficient, creating less heat and use less board space, saving time and cost. The MAX17577 and MAX17578 integrate level shifting circuitry to reduce component cost and count by as much as 50 percent while reducing component area to 60 mm², a 72 percent advantage in board space over competitive solutions. These synchronous inverting converters protect against input voltage transients with the industry’s widest input voltage range from 4.5V to 60V, thus increasing system robustness in harsh environments.
“By integrating level shifters, the MAX17577 and MAX17578 reduces design size and component count dramatically for baseband solutions and IoT devices,” said John Woodward, business management director, Industrial Power Product Line at Maxim Integrated. “These efficient negative voltage regulators reduce system temperature rise and support the industry’s widest input voltage range to provide robust protection against unpredictable voltage transients.”
The MAX17577 and MAX17578 generate less heat by dissipating 35 percent less power than competitive solutions, improve system reliability and provide developers with up to six percentage points more efficiency.
Features of the MAX17577 and MAX17578 Synchronous Inverting Output DC-DC Converters
- Reduces External Components and Total Cost
- Synchronous Operation
- All-Ceramic Capacitors, Compact Layout
- Internal Loop Compensation
- System Ground Referenced I/O Pins
- Flexibility to Support Multiple Rails in a System
- Adjustable Output Voltage Range from -0.9V to -36V
- Wide 4.5V to (60V - |VOUT|) Input-Voltage Range
- Up to 1A Output Current
- 400kHz to 2.2MHz Adjustable Frequency with External Clock Synchronization
- Reduces Power Dissipation
- 90.6% Peak Efficiency
- DCM for Superior Light-Load Efficiency
- 6.2µA Shutdown Current
- Operates Reliably in Adverse Industrial Environments
- Hiccup-Mode Overload Protection
- Adjustable Soft-Start
- Monotonic Startup with Prebiased Output Voltage
- Built-In Output-Voltage Monitoring with RESET
- Programmable EN/UVLO Threshold
- Overtemperature Protection
- Wide -40°C to +125°C Ambient Operating Temperature Range
For more information on the MAX17577 and MAX17578 DC-DC Converters, visit the Maxim Integrated Website at
Maxim Integrated MAX17577 product page
The company's Web site address is www.maximintegrated.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from Maxim Integrated - Release Date 22nd March, 2021]