TI's MaxCharge™ Technology Cuts Battery Charge Time by 60%
New Single-Cell Li-ion Charger Can Achieve 80% Capacity in 30 Minutes
Texas Instruments have introduced the industry's first fully integrated 5-A single-cell lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery-charger circuit
with proprietary MaxCharge technology that reduces charge time up to 60 percent compared to existing battery chargers.
The bq25892 switch-mode charger gives users a safer charging experience while still maximizing the benefits of a faster charge time,
currently unseen in the industry.
MaxCharge technology provides faster charge times and cooler charging to improve user experience and
extend the overall life of electronics in many Li-ion applications, including smartphones, tablets, drones, power banks, and
industrial and medical equipment.
The highly efficient charger, which charges at 3.5A with minimal 18°C temperature rise, facilitates faster and cooler charging by combining narrow-voltage DC/DC power path management with TI's MaxCharge technology to support input voltages up to 14V while providing charge current up to 5A.
This fast-charging battery charger is designed to work in single-cell portable devices with TI battery fuel gauges. For example, pair a TI MaxCharge technology device with TI MaxLife™ battery fuel gauge technology to ensure longer battery life and safer charging of portable electronics.
Features of the bq25892 chip include:
- Fastest charging by supporting high-input voltages: The industry's first single-cell Li-ion battery charger to support 5A of current and input voltages up to 14V.
- Highest efficiency: Provides up to 91 percent charging efficiency at 9Vin 3.5A with only an 18oC temperature rise..
- Safer charging: Designers reduce excess heat by controlling the integrated circuit temperature and optimize thermal performance with a thermal-regulation loop.
- High battery supplement current: The charger can provide peak 9A supplement current for an instant system-power burst.
- Simple design integration: Pin-to-pin compatibility with TI's bq24192 product family.
The company's Web site address is www.ti.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from Texas Instruments]