World's First Customizable Wireless Battery Charger Controller
STMicroelectronics Release New Power Transfer Solution
The STWBC digital controller for wireless battery charger (WBC) transmitters from STMicroelectronics offers the most flexible and
efficient solution for controlling power transfer from a WBC transmitter (TX) to a receiver (RX) in WBC-enabled phones, wearables, and
other battery-powered devices that use electromagnetic induction for re-charge.
As a member of the Qi Wireless Power Consortium and the PMA (Power Matters Alliance), ST ensures full compatibility with these leading wireless-charging protocols and
is one of the first companies that hold certification for the newest Qi 1.1.2 A11 standard.
The STWBC performs all the essential functions for transmitter control: it is able to precisely control the amount of transmitted power to match the requirements of the receiving unit in terms of maximizing the efficiency of the power transfer and minimizing any increase in operating temperature. The digital feedback between TX and RX units also allows the detection of metal objects close to the receiver (foreign object detection FOD) that could result in potential hazards, enabling the STWBC to stop power transmission when such objects are detected.
Key Features of the STWBC include:
- Multiple Qi and PMA standards support
- Qi 1.1.2 A11-certified
- Up to 5W power capability for mobiles, wearables, remote controls
- Native support for half-bridge and full-bridge topologies
- 5V operating voltage
Uniquely, the STWBC comes with firmware options to offer customers the ability to personalize their end product
without the need of external microcontrollers:
- A turn-key Qi 1.1.2 A11 certified solution (reference design board STEVAL-ISB027V1), fully interoperable with Qi-enabled mobile phones
- API (application programming interface) access to customize the underlying firmware, for example modifying the behavior of the LEDs or GPIOs in response to the receiver behavior and supporting I²C and UART communication within a network
The device is offered together with a complete ecosystem to support customers in building their applications,
including the Qi 1.1.2 A11-certified reference design board (STEVAL-ISB027V1),
API libraries and documentation to develop software customizations,
as well as a comprehensive graphical user interface to monitor real-time performance and diagnostics.
The company's Web site address is www.st.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 2nd March, 2015]