Hello. Welcome to Futurlec.
The ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS Superstore.
To find the component your looking for, either search by Part Number or visit the relative department.
New Automotive Micros Combine Ethernet and CAN Communications with A High-Degree of Security
The New SCP58 Series from STMicroelectronics Offers Double The Performance of Previous Generation Microcontrollers
STMicroelectronics has launched a new family of automotive microcontrollers that heralds the advent of more secure and
connected cars. New Automotive Microcontrollers from STMicroelectronics Pave the Way to Smart Driving
via More Secure and Connected Cars
The high level of scalability allows the SPC58 family to perfectly address the ever-growing need for in-car automotive networks
with high bandwidth and strong in-vehicle security. The devices combine Ethernet and ISO CAN FD¹ communication interfaces
with the latest Hardware Security Module (HSM) technology to ensure functional integrity of the car's Electronic Control Units (ECUs),
intrusion detection, and protection against malicious attacks.
ST's in-house embedded Flash (eFlash) 40nm process technology is ideal to integrate high performance and
outstanding automotive-grade reliability in very small packages, enabling car gateways and body modules
to be smarter, smaller, and lighter.
“Building on the success of our SPC56 Automotive MCU family, which is widely used by Tier-1 and car manufacturers,
the new SPC58 enables the automotive industry to raise the bar in security and in-car communications,” said Fabio Marchio,
General Manager Automotive Digital Division, STMicroelectronics. “The next generation of smarter cars will rely on electronic systems
based on MCUs that provide the best combination of performance, low power consumption, high security, and robustness.
ST's SPC58 MCU lines meet all these needs, making them the leading solutions for next-generation in-car controllers.”
Key Features of the SPC58 Microcontroller include:
- ASIL-B (Automotive Safety Integrity Level) compliance
- The highest number of ISO CAN-FD and Ethernet communication channels on the market
- Double the performance of previous-generation solutions, thanks to the multi-core architecture, higher system frequency, and faster memory-access time
- The state-of-the-art 40nm Flash technology enables high integration and performance in very small packages - as few as 32 pins
- Perfect companion MCU for camera or telematics applications
- Perfect solution for in-car stand-alone and integrated gateways
- Assured security via the built-in HSM and related security firmware² that ensure the highest protection against malicious attacks
- Option to support “Over the Air” (OTA) requirements allowing smart and wireless SW update
- Easy portability of applications from SPC56 to SPC58, with high reuse of existing software, development tools, and hardware experience
“Tomorrow's connected car will communicate with everything, from its internal systems such as transmission,
advanced driver-assistance electronics, and front panel to roadside infrastructure, emergency services, and
other cars. And it will have to provide the highest level of security,” added Marchio.
“The SPC58 Automotive MCUs, with their unique combination of performance, connectivity, security, and
scalability, allow car makers and their sub-system suppliers to set new standards in ensuring a safer,
greener, and more enjoyable driving experience.”
The new products are part of a comprehensive ST strategy to offer products with embedded security functions
that include stand-alone Secure Elements.
¹International Standards Organization, Controller Area Network, Flexible Data-Rate
²ST is a world leader in digital security technology, exemplified by the US National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) basing its
latest SHA3 encryption technology on breakthroughs made by ST cryptographic experts.
The company's Web site address is ST.com.
[Reprinted with kind permission from STMicroelectronics - Release Date 11th May, 2016]