NXP Adds New GreenChip IC for Use With Mains LED Lighting
New controller-only buck LED driver offers highly cost-effective solution with best-in-class efficiency
NXP has released it's new LED Driver IC the SSL2109, this is a high-efficiency buck controller for high-power,
non-dimmable LED lighting applications using non-isolated topologies.
Designed for use with an external power switch, the SSL2109 LED driver IC provides a single design platform for 100V, 120V and 230V mains input voltages and power ranges up to 25 W. By offering a controller-only version of the popular SSL2108x family, the SSL2109 provides LED retrofit lamp and driver module manufacturers with the flexibility to optimize external MOSFET selection based on cost, performance and heat dissipation, also across different power levels.
Based on GreenChip™ technology, the SSL2109 offers best-in-class efficiency up to 95%; a high level of integration, with only 15 components required for a full application; a small PCB area enabling compact designs; and a very low electronic bill of materials (BoM).
“By bringing down the cost of LEDs, leading lighting manufacturers are accelerating their adoption in the residential and commercial lighting markets. The SSL2109 LED controller IC offers a very low electronic bill of materials for high-efficiency LED driver applications, a very low cost of design, and flexibility in optimizing external MOSFET selection across an extremely wide range of power levels, also with cost in mind,” said Ryan Zahn, general manager, lighting solutions product line, NXP Semiconductors.
The SSL2109 controller-only buck LED driver is available immediately. In addition, NXP will release two additional members of the SSL2108x family - the SSL2108xA and SSL2109A - at the end of June. The SSL2108xA and SSL2109A remove the short winding protection feature.
Features of the SSL2109 include:
- A high integration level, with only 15 components required on the PCB
- Small PCB area measuring only 18 x 22 mm in reference designs
- High efficiency up to 95%
- Low electronic bill of materials (eBoM) for LED driver applications
- Tight LED current regulation, better than 5%
- Direct PWM dimming possible
- A complete set of built-in protections, including LED temperature protection via an NTC temperature sensor
- Ease of design-in and manufacturing
- High reliability, with IC lifetime matching or surpassing LED lifetime
The company's Web site address is www.nxp.com
[Reprinted with kind permission from NXP]